Nick and I like to cook dinner together and one of the first meals we ever made together was chicken parmesan. We still love this dish, but I was looking for a way to make it healthier. What better way to do this than swap out the pasta for zoodles to add some vegetables into the dish! We also used less breading and cheese than the chicken parmesan recipe we usually use calls for. I wanted to share this recipe with you all. I hope you enjoy it as much as Nick and I did!
Baked Chicken Parmesan with Zoodles
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 3 zucchinis
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts (I used thin-sliced)
- Olive oil
- Mozzarella cheese
- One jar of pasta sauce (I used tomato and basil Bertolli)
- Heat two separate pans on medium heat and place 1 tbsp of olive oil in each pan.
- Combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Beat one egg in another shallow dish.
- Place each chicken breast into egg first then breading mixture and into one of the heated pans.
- Cook chicken breasts for 3-4 minutes on each side until fully cooked.
- While chicken is cooking, use spiralizer to cut zucchini into zoodles.
- Place zoodles into other heated pan and cook for a few minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked, sprinkle mozzarella cheese (or place a slice of mozzarella cheese) on each chicken breast.
- Pour pasta sauce over chicken once mozzarella has melted and cook for a few minutes until sauce is warm.
- Serve chicken over bed of zoodles! Bon appetit!
– M –