Happy Labor Day! I hope you are all enjoying a relaxing holiday. Kevin and I spent the weekend in beautiful San Diego at The Lodge at Torrey Pines. It was our second time spending Labor Day weekend there and we really enjoyed it. We caught the first Michigan State football game at a local bar when we arrived on Friday and cheered on our Spartans to victory. On Saturday we enjoyed downtown La Jolla in the morning and spent the afternoon by the pool. Sunday we tested our luck at the Del Mar horse races. Not much luck this year but we still had a blast!
It is important to me to maintain a healthy lifestyle while on vacation. It is easy to go into vacation mode and skip the gym and over indulge in food that is not good for you. Although I do allow myself to have a few things I would not normally eat (bring on a good dessert), I make sure 80% of what I am eating is clean healthy food. A few guidelines I try to stick to on vacation are:
- Drink lots of water. Especially if drinking alcohol.
- Skip the sugary vacation drinks. Opt for a glass of red wine or a vodka soda with lime.
- Do not let a treat derail you. It’s okay to splurge on dessert after a healthy dinner, but make sure your next meal is a healthy one.
- Keep your usual workout schedule. Take a long morning walk or run. Hit the hotel gym before heading to breakfast. I travel with resistance bands that make it easy to do a workout in the room or balcony.
- Travel with healthy snacks. My go to snacks are protein bars and nuts. I always know I have something healthy on hand.
- Keep a healthy mindset. Many people think vacation is a time to splurge in everything you would not normally do. Although a treat is okay, try to maintain your normal eating and exercise routine as much as possible.
Happy traveling and enjoy your week!
– A –