Happy Monday! I want to share five easy ways I stay healthy on a daily basis. I truly believe in doing everything in moderation. Yes, I spurge once in a while (I can’t say no to a good ice cream cone), and some weeks I don’t get to the gym as much as I would like. But I try to do these these five things every week to stay as healthy and in shape as possible.
1. Hit the gym at least four times a week: I usually do Pure Barre 1-2 times a week and I mix in cardio and weight lifting on the other days. Kevin’s been leading me in weight lifting exercises on the weekends. Although I don’t lift much weight I’ve been able to already see the results by mixing more weight lifting into my workout routine.
2. Get Outside: In Chicago we used to go for walks that took a couple of hours when we could enjoy the weather. Now in Arizona we’ve been hiking every weekend. I love getting outside and taking advantage of the scenery while getting in a good workout.
3. Eat breakfast every day: I always eat breakfast as soon as I wake up to get my metabolism started. My go-to’s are oatmeal or eggs over easy, but I’ve also been enjoying protein shakes after workouts.
4. Drink lots of water: I drink water only, meaning no sugary juices or soda. I carry a water bottle around with me at all times (especially in the desert heat) and I drink at least 40 oz of water a day.
5. Do everything in moderation: My dad always said to enjoy everything in life in moderation, and I try to live by this. My mom is an excellent baker, and I remember times when I was growing up when our house was stocked with all of the best sweets. I would always try to limit myself to only having one of the cookies she made, which was so hard to do! Now I use a similar strategy, allowing myself to enjoy one desert a week and limiting greasy foods like pizza to a once in a while treat.
How do you stay healthy? I would love to hear from you!