I wanted to share one of my favorite weekday meals that’s quick, easy, and healthy! It’s full of veggies and made with whole grain pasta. I enjoy cooking dinner at home, but often find myself with little time and energy to think about dinner after work. I also tend to shy away from recipes that require a lot of ingredients to avoid inflating the grocery bill and I’m often left with wasted ingredients since I’m usually only cooking for myself during the week. This recipe requires few ingredients, has little prep, and is ready to eat in 30 minutes. It’s also great for lunch the next day, as it heats up easily and tastes great!
I add sweet Italian style chicken sausage to add some protein and flavor. For veggies I use green and red pepper and mushrooms since those are my favorite, but these can be substituted based on your preferences.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 7 oz of whole grain penne pasta
- 3 pre-cooked Italian style chicken sausages (I use Al Fresco brand)
- 2 bell peppers (I use one red and one green)
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup of tomato pasta sauce (I use roasted garlic)
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning (I use McCormick)
- 2 tbs. Parmesan cheese
- Chop peppers, mushrooms and place in a bowl to the side
- Slice chicken sausage into half-inch pieces and put into a separate bowl
- Begin boiling 2-3 quarts of water for the pasta
- Add 2 tbs. of olive oil to a large heated skillet
- Add peppers, mushrooms and italian seasoning, cooking for five minutes
- Add chicken sausage and continue cooking for 10-12 minutes
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al-dente
- Drain pasta and add it to the skillet with the veggies and sausage
- Add pasta sauce and remaining olive oil to pan
- Simmer until the pasta is warm throughout
- Add your finished pasta to a plate and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top
This recipe makes about three to four servings. I usually eat one serving for dinner and package the rest for lunch during the week. It’s amazing how great it tastes the next day!
– A –